I know what you are thinking. . .
Is this a recipe I see? Did Keely actually cook? Am I at the wrong blog?
Well folks believe it. One of my 2011 goals is to start becoming bff’s with my kitchen.
I have done lil things here and there this first month of 2011, but thought I needed to share a winner.
I was at Whole Foods the other day
seriously I love the staff there.
I found myself talking with the checkout girl about garlic. . . Our LOVE for garlic, uses for garlic, LOVE for garlic, cooking with garlic, LOVE for garlic, How we eat our garlic, LOVE for garlic.
When she excitedly says
“WAIT! I will be right back, I need to give you something”. . .
She returned with a little cute black package of goodness
she said nothing else but the words ” TRUST ME”
I came home went to the Black Garlic site to look up the following
a. what is this?
b. who makes this?
c. what to do with this?
I landed on the Mushroom and Black Garlic Risotto Recipe and added it to my MUST COOK SOON OR ELSE list.
Yesterday I was telling my fellow Risotto loving friend Jill about it and who could resist a friend that wants a low key Super Bowl Hang that includes cooking with you in your kitchen.
So over came the Jilly and instead of feasting on pizza, chips, dips, cookies galore. . .
Gabe, Jill and I had this delish meal.
And via twitter / facebook I see that I have some interested friends so Here is the recipe! You can find more on the Black Garlic site.
Also I tweeked the measurements a bit. . .
- 1 – 1.3 litres of vegetable stock
- 125g butter ( I STICK OF BUTTER I used Smart Balance)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion – very finely chopped
- 4 peeled cloves of black garlic – finely sliced.
- 400g risotto rice (Arborio or Carnoli) ( I used Arborio)
- 1 small glass of white wine
- 225g fresh mushrooms – sliced
- 25g Parmesan cheese – freshly grated ( 1 1/2 tbsp)
- 50g mascarpone cheese ( 2 tbsp)
- Freshly chopped parsley – optional
- Truffle oil – optional
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large pan heat the stock until it reaches simmering point.
- Prepare the mushroom base. Melt 50g ( 1/2 stick) of butter in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and some salt and pepper. Heat slowly until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Heat 50 g ( 1/2 stick) butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Add the finely chopped onion and sweat until soft and translucent. Now add the black garlic. Mix the black garlic into the onion mixture.
- Now add the rice and stir until well coated. Pour in the glass of white wine. Allow it to reduce until there is no liquid in the pan. Stir continuously.
- Add a ladleful of vegetable stock, stirring continuously. As soon as the liquid is absorbed add another ladleful of stock and continue this until the rice is cooked. Stir continuously.
- The rice should be slightly ‘al dente’ but soft and loose. When you are happy with the consistency, stir in the mushroom mixture and the pan juices.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, 25g of butter ( I didn’t do this) and 30 – 50g ( 2 tbsp) of mascarpone cheese
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper
Serving suggestion – Stir in some freshly chopped parsley and drizzle with a little truffle oil. ( highly recommend the truffle oil! yummmm!)
It was SO a hit! Now if only I could get this little guy to do the dishes. Cooking REALLY would be enjoyable!